A recent webinar delivered by Firehouse and sponsored by TargetSolutions dives into the importance and significance of the NFPA® 1410 training standard. The hour-long webcast touches on the importance of maintaining a self-sufficient training standard.
During the webinar, “NFPA® 1410: Are You Training to a Standard,” it is stated the responsibility of trainingsolely belongs to the firefighter.
The webcast states five “musts” in order to produce great training in the fire service:
1) Realistic: If it’s not realistic, departments run the risk of losing their audience. Students will want to do anything else other than participate in training.
2) Relevant: It has to be relevant to what it is that departments are doing. If high-rise tactics are being trained on in rural America, it’s probably not very relevant.
3) Referenced: Where 1410 really comes into play, training has to be referenced back to a standard.
4) Performance Based: Evaluate performance on the scene.
5) Member Involved: Get the buy-in for training from your organization.
The presentation features a comprehensive history of NFPA® 1410, a detailed breakdown of the chapter makeup of the standard, and a thorough analysis of the training in context.
TargetSolutions recently launched a series of NFPA® 1410 training standard courses that provide high-definition video demonstrations of common fireground evolutions. Written, directed, and narrated by subject matter experts, the 14 courses close the gap between the training ground and the fireground.
“Modern firefighting is an art which requires a vast store of professional knowledge and skill. It is impracticable for an individual to attempt to acquire this knowledge and skill from experience alone, a major part must be acquired through systematic training and study.”
Lloyd Laymen, Chief, Parkersburg Fire Department
For more information about TargetSolutions’ NFPA® 1410 training standard courses, please contact us today at (800) 840-8048.