Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 2:00 pm EDT | 11:00 am PDT
Everyone in your school or district is responsible for exemplifying and reinforcing positive, civil behavior that supports a school environment where all students and staff feel respected and protected. This means that teachers, principals, and other school staff, all the way up to district administrators, play a role in creating an inclusive environment and culture. In order to do so, they must become aware of their own personal communication style and how it affects those around them, as well as have actionable tools for addressing non-inclusive behavior when they witness it.
After this presentation you will be able to go back to your organization with tangible tools for creating an inclusive environment, where everyone is involved in sustaining a positive culture.
At the end of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Identify the various roles that allies play (e.g. advocate vs. sponsor), and reflect on the roles they play
- Define the origins of bias and four different types of bias
- Define risk factors that increase our likelihood to engage in bias
- Combat microaggressions using tried and true intervention methods including asking questions, relying on basic human values, and organizational core values etc.
- Facilitate and participate in inclusive meetings by creating a code of conduct, starting every meeting with it, and ensuring all measures are taken to ensure inclusivity (accommodating disabilities, diverse speakers, etc.).
- Identify resources for educating themselves on inclusive behaviors
Catherine Mattice, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Catherine is the founder and CEO of Civility Partners, an HR consulting firm focused on helping organizations create respectful workplace cultures. Her clients range from Fortune 500's to small business in a multitude of industries. Catherine is an HR thought-leader and has appeared in such venues as USA Today, Bloomberg, CNN, NPR, and many other national news outlets as an expert. Catherine is an award-winning speaker, author and blogger. Catherine is also the author of numerous Vector Training courses for K-12 educators and staff in the areas of Human Resources, Discrimination, Diversity & Inclusion, and more.