This guide outlines pending and enacted state and federal hazing legislation that requires content for hazing prevention education for students, faculty, staff, advisors, and student organization leaders at institutions of higher education (IHEs).
Five states—Louisiana, Ohio, Oregon, Virginia, and Washington—have enacted laws that require hazing prevention education for the target audiences that covers these topics:
- Hazing awareness, prevention, and intervention.
- Signs and dangers of hazing, including alcohol intoxication.
- Relevant criminal laws that define hazing and penalties.
- Institutional hazing policies and sanctions.
- Harmful effects of hazing.
- Reporting obligations.
In addition to these state laws that detail the hazing prevention requirements for our courses, summaries of pending state and federal higher education hazing prevention laws are also included on the following pages.
Download our new on-demand compliance guide to learn more!